Here’s a link to my Google Scholar Profile.
- Gatesy, SM and KM Middleton. 1997. Bipedalism, flight, and the evolution of theropod locomotor diversity. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 17(2): 308-329. Data: http://dx.doi.org/10.5061/dryad.jf6ht
- Gatesy, SM and KM Middleton. 1999. Theropod hind limb disparity revisited: a response. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 19(3): 606.
- Gatesy, SM, KM Middleton, FA Jenkins, Jr, and NH Shubin. 1999. Three dimensional preservation of foot movements in Triassic theropod dinosaurs. Nature 399: 141-144.
- Middleton, KM and SM Gatesy. 2000. Theropod forelimb design and evolution. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 28(2): 149-187. Data: http://dx.doi.org/10.5061/dryad.jf6ht
- Middleton, KM 2001. The morphological basis of hallucal orientation in extant birds. Journal of Morphology 250: 51-60.
- Tian, X., J Iriarte-Díaz, KM Middleton, R Galvao, E Israeli, A Roemer, A Sullivan, A Song, SM Swartz and KB Breuer. 2006. Direct measurements of the kinematics and dynamics of bat flight. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics 1: S10-S18.
- Swartz, SM and KM Middleton. 2008. Biomechanics of the bat limb skeleton: Scaling, material properties, and mechanics. 2008. Cells, Tissues and Organs 187(1): 59-84.
- Middleton, KM, CE Shubin, DC Moore, T Garland, Jr, PA Carter, and SM Swartz. 2008. The relative importance of genetics and phenotypic plasticity in dictating bone morphology and mechanics in aged mice: Evidence from an artificial selection experiment. Zoology 111(2): 135-147.
- Lavin, SR, WH Karasov, AR Ives, KM Middleton, and T Garland, Jr. 2008. Morphometrics of the avian small intestine, compared with nonflying mammals. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 81(5): 526-550.
- Hannon, RM, SA Kelly, KM Middleton, EM Kolb, D Pomp, and T Garland, Jr. 2008. Phenotypic Effects of the “Mini-Muscle” Allele in a Large HR x C57BL/6J Mouse Backcross. Journal of Heredity 99(4): 349-354.
- Clarke, JA and KM Middleton. 2008. Mosaicism, modules, and the evolution of birds: Results from a Bayesian approach to the study of morphological evolution using discrete character data. Systematic Biology 57(2): 185-201.
- Middleton, KM, SA Kelly, and T Garland, Jr. 2008. Selective breeding and skeletal response to high voluntary activity in mice. Integrative and Comparative Biology 48(3): 394-410.
- Keeney, BK, DA Raichlen, TH Meek, RS Wijeratne, KM Middleton, GL Gerdeman, and T Garland, Jr. 2008. Differential response to a selective cannabinoid receptor antagonist (SR141716: Rimonabant) in female mice from lines selectively bred for high voluntary wheel-running behavior. Behavioural Pharmacology 19: 812-820.
- Malisch, JL, CW Breuner, EM Kolb, H Wada, RM Hannon, MA Chappell, KM Middleton, and T Garland, Jr. 2009. Behavioral despair and home-cage activity in mice with chronically elevated baseline corticosterone concentrations. Behavior Genetics 39: 192-201.
- Eisenmann, JC, EE Wickel, SA Kelly, KM Middleton, and T Garland, Jr. 2009. Day-to-day variability in voluntary wheel running among young mice selectively bred for high activity. European Journal of Applied Physiology 106: 613-619.
- Middleton, KM, BD Goldstein, PR Guduru, JF Waters, SA Kelly, SM Swartz, and T Garland, Jr. 2010. Variation in within-bone stiffness measured by nanoindentation in mice bred for high levels of voluntary wheel running. Journal of Anatomy 216: 121-131.
- Kolb, EM, SA Kelly, KM Middleton, LS Sermsakdi, MA Chappell, and T Garland, Jr. 2010. Erythropoietin elevates VO2max but not voluntary wheel running in mice. Journal of Experimental Biology 213: 510-519.
- Wallace, IJ, KM Middleton, S Lublinsky, SA Kelly, S Judex, T Garland, Jr., B Demes. 2010. Functional significance of genetic variation underlying limb bone diaphyseal structure. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 143: 21-30.
- Riskin, DK, J Iriarte-Díaz, KM Middleton, KS Breuer, SM Swartz. 2010. The effect of body size on the wing movements of pteropodid bats, with insights into thrust and lift production. Journal of Experimental Biology 213: 4110-4122.
- Garland, T Jr, SA Kelly, JL Malisch, EM Kolb, RM Hannon, BK Keeney, SL Van Cleave, KM Middleton. 2011. How to run far: multiple solutions and sex-specific responses to selective breeding for high voluntary activity levels. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 278:574-581.
- Keeney, BK, TH Meek, KM Middleton, and T Garland, Jr. 2012. Sex differences in cannabinoid receptor-1 (CB1) pharmacology in mice selectively bred for high voluntary wheel-running behavior. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 101: 528-537.
- Altshuler, DL, EM Quicazán-Rubio, PS Segre, KM Middleton. 2012. Wingbeat kinematics and motor control of yaw turns in Anna’s hummingbird (Calypte anna). Journal of Experimental Biology 215: 4070-4084.
- Cheney, JA, N Konow, KM Middleton, KS Breuer, TJ Roberts, EL Giblin, and SM Swartz. 2014. Membrane muscle function in the compliant wings of bats. Bioinspiration and Biomimetics 9: 025007. Press coverage: Brown University, Science Daily, New York Times Sciencetake
- Read TJG, PS Segre, KM Middleton, DL Altshuler. 2016. Hummingbirds control turning velocity using body orientation and turning radius using asymmetrical wingbeat kinematics. Journal of the Royal Society, Interface 13: 20160110.
- Clarke, JA and KM Middleton. 2006. Bird evolution. Current Biology 16: R350-R354.
- Middleton, KM and LT English. 2014. Challenges and advances in the study of pterosaur flight. Canadian Journal of Zoology: Advanced online publication.
- Gatesy, SM and KM Middleton}. 2007. Skeletal adaptations for flight. pp. 269-283 in Fins into Limbs: Evolution, Development, and Transformation. BK Hall, ed. University of Chicago Press.
- Owerkowicz, T, C Musinsky, KM Middleton, AW Crompton. in press. Respiratory turbinates in extant mammals and birds: the Rosetta bone in the evolution of endothermy? in Shubin, NH, KP Dial, EL Brainerd, eds. Great Transformations in Vertebrate Evolution. University of Chicago Press.
- Middleton, KM. 2003. Dinosaurs of the Air: The Evolution and Loss of Flight in Dinosaurs and Birds and Mesozoic Birds: Above the Heads of Dinosaurs. Palaeontologia Electronica 6: 5.
- Tsai, HP, KM Middleton, CM Holliday. 2015. More than one way to be a giant: convergence and disparity in saurischian dinosaur hip joints during body size evolution. Integrative and Comparative Biology 55: e186.
- Cheney, JA, N Konow, KM Middleton, KS Breuer, TJ Roberts, EL Giblin, SM Swartz. 2015. Shaping the wings of bats: Muscle and wing skin interactions in flight. Integrative and Comparative Biology 55: e29.
- Smolinsky, AN, KM Middleton, F Pfeiffer, CM Holliday. 2015. Material properties of the mandibular symphysis in Alligator mississippiensis. Integrative and Comparative Biology 55: e173.
- Tsai, HP, KM Middleton, CM Holliday. 2015. Solutions for gigantism: evolutionary and biomechanical implications of dinosaur hip joint soft tissues. FASEB J 29(1, suppl.): 351.4.
- Cost, IN, A Spates, KC Sellers, JL Davis, KM Middleton, LM Witmer, CM Holliday. 2015. Biomechanics of the avian feeding apparatus. Society of Vertebrate Paleontology 2015 Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, Program and Abstracts, 2015: 110.
- KC Sellers, JL Davis, KM Middleton, CM Holliday. 2015. Ontogeny and biomechanics of the American alligator skull. Society of Vertebrate Paleontology 2015 Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, Program and Abstracts, 2015: 211.
- Kuo S and KM Middleton. 2016. Tensile mechanical properties of isolated penguin flipper feathers. Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology 2016 Annual Meeting, Portland, OR.
- Middleton KM, SJ Peacock, BR Coats, JK Kirkland, T Garland, Jr. 2016. Comparison of morphology and bending mechanics of femora in response to chronic exercise in three strains of mice. American Association of Anatomists 2016 Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.